Spanish Oaks Elementary had a Nebo District Dance Specialist visit last week as part of the the Nebo GAINS (Growing Arts In Nebo Schools) program, sponsored by the Beverly Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program. Specialist, Melanie Fillmore, visited with classroom teachers and students offering ideas for the use of dance and movement as a vehicle for engaged learning. You won't believe what our students danced about! See below then ask your student for more details ...
- 1st grade: Did you know that "Plants Can't Sit Still?" It's true. They are always in motion and your first grader can show you!
- 2nd grade: Different habitats each have their own unique features and animals. We used different kinds of dance energies and styles to reflect the beauty of each habitat.
- 3rd grade: 3rd grade broke a few rules and danced all kinds of prepositions with their chairs! On, across, under, next to, away from, over, etc.! Find a safe space and try it at home.
- 4th and 5th grade learned about Personal Space and Shared Space and how it applies to the author's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person Points of View.
- 6th grade played different dance games, practiced sequencing and had an organized "dance party" to get warmed up for a year of dance at Spanish Oaks.
It makes you wonder if perhaps the best learning takes place when students AREN'T sitting still!