Spanish Oaks Elementary had a Nebo District Dance Specialist visit last week as part of the the Nebo GAINS (Growing Arts In Nebo Schools) program, sponsored by the Beverly Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program. Specialist, Melanie Fillmore, visited with classroom teachers and students offering ideas for the use of dance and movement as a vehicle for engaged learning. You won't believe what our students danced about! See below then ask your student for more details ...
- 1st grade: Did you know that "Plants Can't Sit Still?" It's true. They are always in motion and your first grader can show you!
- 2nd grade: Different habitats each have their own unique features and animals. We used different kinds of dance energies and styles to reflect the beauty of each habitat.
- 3rd grade: 3rd grade broke a few rules and danced all kinds of prepositions with their chairs! On, across, under, next to, away from, over, etc.! Find a safe space and try it at home.
- 4th and 5th grade learned about Personal Space and Shared Space and how it applies to the author's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person Points of View.
- 6th grade played different dance games, practiced sequencing and had an organized "dance party" to get warmed up for a year of dance at Spanish Oaks.
It makes you wonder if perhaps the best learning takes place when students AREN'T sitting still!
* Reminder: Monday 9-17-18 is a half day of school. For those who choose to eat, lunch will be served from 10:45 AM to 11:15 PM. Students will be dismissed at noon. Both AM and PM kindergarten students will meet in a joint “squishy” session in the morning. Thank you for your support ... Happy Monday!
We are so excited to hold our annual Jog-a-Thon again at Spanish Oaks on Friday, October 5, 2018, for our school fundraiser! Students will receive an envelope with a donation form on Monday. They can collect pledges for how many laps they run, or as a flat rate donation. Our goal is for each student to raise $10, which will help us meet our goal of $5,000 for our school! Parents are invited to come cheer for their children during their assigned Jog-a-Thon time. Thank you for supporting our school!
Donation Form (will come home Monday)
I love learning and I love teaching! This year I feel so lucky to be working with all of the teachers at Spanish Oaks focusing on reading and writing instruction. I know that we will do great things working together! I have taught 4th and 6th grade for 14 years in Nebo School District and I have loved every second of it! It is such a privilege to work with students and see how much they grow in such a short time! In my spare time I love reading, kayaking, traveling, and spending time with my family! Nothing beats going through the mountains listening to my favorite music!
We are so happy to have you here!!
The SFHS Dance Company is excited to offer our Dance Camp for dancers ages 5-12 on October 1st-3rd with a performance at the SFHS JV football game on the 4th. Early bird registration is $30 per student with an additional $20 for siblings. After September 24th the price will be $35. Please check out our FaceBook Event with the link below and or our Online Registration with the link below. We hope to see your dancer come join the fun!